This recipe comes from one of my oldest friends Joanne Clark. Jo is a vegan and animal rights activist who I am incredibly proud to call my friend. She is an advocate for living a healthy, sustainable lifestyle while being on the forefront of animal rights issues. She is so inspiring and agreed to share one of her incredible recipes with us on my blog today.
Vegan Sweet Potato and Ginger Soup
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- ½ cup dried chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 cup kale, removed from stem and chopped
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 4-5 cups water or vegetable broth, or more as needed
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated or finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons turmeric
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add the onion, celery, and garlic to the slow cooker with a few tablespoons of water. I use water, to limit the added fats, but you could use a vegetable oil if you like. Let soften for a few minutes.
- Add sweet potatoes, dried chickpeas, ginger, and kale.
- Add enough water or broth to cover all the vegetables. Then stir in coconut milk and spices.
- Cook on medium to high setting for 5-6 hours, or lower heat for 8-9 hours.
- If you have an immersion blender, you could blend the soup into a smooth mixture. I left mine unblended.
Note: Jo made this soup in the slow cooker, but she says you could use a pot on the stove too! Just bring the mixture to boil, then lower the heat and simmer, covered, for about 30-40 minutes.
Thanks again Jo – you continue to inspire me on the daily!
with love and endless friendship,
Sarah Alicia Harvison